"I really like hip and knee replacement surgeries. One of the reasons I chose this as a specialty is that you can clearly see the benefit of the surgery. My patients' pain is remarkably improved and the quality of their lives improves notably, that's rewarding as a doctor."
Clinical Expertise and Experience
Dr. Bow is highly trained in hip and knee surgery. She performs hip and knee replacement surgeries and revisions of hip and knee replacement surgeries. Dr. Bow also performs foot and ankle surgeries, especially in people who have arthritis.
She completed her residency and two fellowships in adult reconstruction. One fellowship was in joint reconstruction, the other in advanced foot and ankle surgery.
Below is a partial list of the procedures Dr. Bow performs:
- Total hip replacements
- Revision total hip replacements
- Total knee replacements
- Revision total knee replacements
- Trauma and fracture care including complex trauma and fracture injuries
- Foot and ankle surgery
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Ontario Medical Association
- Canadian Medical Association
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association
- Canadian Orthopaedic Research Foundation
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
Honors and Awards
- Runner-up Harvey Bailey Prize for Best Basic Science Research Paper, 2005
- Dr. Fred N. Hagerman Memorial Prize in Surgery, 2002
Publications and Research
J.K. Bow, “The History of Modern Total Knee Replacement”, in Essentials in Total Knee Arthroplasty, Editors Drs. Javad Parvizi and Brian A. Klatt, SLACK Inc., Thorofare, NJ, USA: 2011.
W.J. Hozack and J.K. Bow, “Prevention of Thromboembolic Disease After Total Hip and Total Knee Arthroplasty – Balancing the Risks and Benefits”, US Musculoskeletal Review 2007(2): 65-67.
Patents Under Review
US 60/847,054 J.K. Bow and J.M. Pearce “Scavenged Energy for Electric Field Generation to Prevent Bone Loss and Encourage Bone Growth for Orthopaedic Applications.”
- 2008 Queen’s University, Human Mobility Research Centre Supervisor: Dr. S.D. Waldman Project: Tissue Engineering of Human Cartilage Constructs and Investigation of the Mechanotransduction Pathways in Chondrocytes Related to ATP.
- 2007 University of Western Ontario, Arthroplasty Research Group Supervisor: Dr. D.G. Chess Project: The effects of leg position during tourniquet inflation on intraoperative ROM measurements.
- 2006 University of Western Ontario, Arthroplasty Research Group Supervisor: Dr. S.J. MacDonald Project: “T cell-Macrophage Interactions in the Setting of Periprosthetic Osteolysis.”
- 2004 University of Western Ontario, Arthroplasty Research Group Supervisor: Dr. S.J. MacDonald Project: “Regulator T Cell Immune Regulation in the Setting of Osteolysis in Total Hip Arthroplasty.”
- 2003 University of Western Ontario, Arthroplasty Research Group Supervisor: Dr. R.B. Bourne Project: “A Randomized Clinical Trial and Gait Analysis Comparing Mobile-Bearing Versus Fixed-Bearing Total Knee Arthroplasties”
- 2002 Fowler Kennedy Sports Medicine Clinic Supervisor: Dr. A. Kirkley Project: “Is There A Difference in KT-1000 Measurements Between the Normal Knees of Patients With ACL Tears and Normal Case-control Matches?”
- 2001 University of Western Ontario, Arthroplasty Research Group Supervisor: Dr. R.B. Bourne Project: “A Comparison of the Outcomes of Arthrofibrosis Patients Undergoing Manipulation Under General Anaesthesia Versus Physiotherapy with Epidural Anaesthesia Following Total Knee Replacement.”
- 1999 University of Toronto, Dept. of Physiology Supervisor: Dr. J. Challis Project: “Does Celestone Administration Cause an Increase in Corticotropin Releasing Hormone in the Placentas of Women in Labour?”
- 1998 Queen's University, Dept. of Pathology Supervisors: Dr. R. Kisilevsky, Dr. J. Ancsin Project: "Which HDL Subfraction is the First Acceptor of Cholesterol from Macrophage During Acute Phase Inflammation?"
- 1997 Queen's University, Cancer Research Laboratories Supervisor: Dr. P. Greer Project: "Expression and Purification of VEGF165"
- 1997 Queen's University, Dept. of Biochemistry Supervisor: Dr. G. Jones Project: "Determination of the biological activities of the 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 analog, EB01219, and its metabolites"
- 1997 Queen's University, Dept. of Biochemistry Supervisor: Dr. Tam Project: "BB2 Transcriptional Effects on the Human ApoA-1 Gene"