We provide financial assistance services to the people of our community.
Financial assistance is based on income and assets and is designed to provide healthcare to those who could not otherwise afford it.
The Financial Assistance Program only applies to services rendered through Portage Health.
Our Financial Assistance Program is designed to assist individuals who are uninsured in meeting their financial needs for medically necessary healthcare services.
Based on eligibility, our services include:
- Community Care Program
- Uninsured Discount Program
- Special Circumstances
To be eligible, the patient must meet the following criteria:
- Patient must reside in Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga or Ontonagon County for 6 months prior to treatment or be a property owner. (Copy of current driver’s license or state ID card required.)
- Must be established with a Portage Health Medical Group physician for 6 months prior to the date of service. Exceptions are emergency room visits and/or inpatient stays.
- No access to affordable health insurance.
- Patient must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Patient must have a personal net worth of no more than $100,000.
- Patient must apply for Medicaid and be denied.
NOTE: If you are eligible for MAP and WUPHAC you still may apply for the Portage Health Financial Assistance Program.
Eligible services are for patients of Portage Health needing acute care (inpatient or outpatient) or chronic care. Services by Medical Group physicians are covered. Eight rehab visits per diagnosis are covered.
Program will only cover medically necessary services. Elective or cosmetic services are not covered. Non-covered services include but are not limited to:
- Non-emergent orthopaedic services
- Preventative services (i.e. physicals, routine labs, pap tests)
- Screenings (i.e. colonoscopies, mammograms)
- Sleep studies
- Cataract surgeries
- Durable medical equipment
- Education services
Financial assistance period covers six months from the initial date of service. The patient must re-apply every six months to determine eligibility.
The patient must first apply to the Department of Human Services -- call (906) 482-0500 -- for public assistance and present a statement of ineligibility, and not be eligible for any other third party assistance (Medicaid deductibles are NOT covered).
Financial Assistance Program services may only be used on current accounts that are within 90 days from the date of service and will not cover delinquent accounts.
Only completed applications will be accepted.
The following information must be provided:
- Completed and signed Financial Assistance Program application.
- Copy of current year’s tax return. A W-2 form and two recent pay stubs (including workman’s compensation, unemployment, disability and child support).
- Patient must apply for Medicaid at the Department of Human Services -- call (906) 482-0500 -- and must present a current statement of denial.
- Copy of driver’s license showing that the applicant is a resident of Houghton, Baraga, Keweenaw or Ontonagon County.
- Copy of most recent two months of bank statement(s) showing checking and/or savings account balances and transactions.
- Copy of home mortgage statement showing balance due and a Property Tax Notice or Assessed Value Statement. If no mortgage, then rent amount is needed.
- Bank statement showing balance on vehicle loan(s) and vehicle value will be verified.
- Net worth is defined as the value of ALL assets (home, vehicle, snowmobile, boat, 4-wheeler, stocks, bonds, investments, etc.), less debts. Home value is deemed to be twice the home’s tax assessed value.
- Additional financial information may be required.
Federal Guidelines Adjustment Formula
- Annual household income cannot exceed 200 percent of the HHS Poverty Guidelines to qualify for the Community Care Program. Annual household income cannot exceed 300 percent of the HHS Poverty Guidelines to qualify for the Uninsured Discount Program.
- The family size is determined by adding the patient, spouse, and number of eligible dependents (if claimed on current year’s taxes.)
Income Requirement for Free Care:
(2013 HHS Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia)
Family Income Requirement for Discounted Care:
To learn more about poverty guidelines, research and measurement, visit the U.S. Department of Health Human Services webpage.
For more information about the Financial Assistance Program, please call one of our financial counselors at (906) 483-1100 (please select option 2) or (800) 573-5001 (toll-free).
Was this information helpful to you?