Local Cancer Support Groups Meet Monthly and Weekly
August 20, 2015
HANCOCK, Mich. – The local Women Living with Cancer Support Group will have its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, August 26 in the conference center at UP Health System – Portage. The Men’s Cancer Support Group meets every Monday at 9:30 a.m. at the Kangas Café located in the Jutila Center in Hancock.
Dr. Katriina Hopper will be the featured speaker at the Women Living with Cancer Support Group meeting next week. As a geriatrician at UP Health System – Portage, Dr. Hopper specializes in the care of older adults, particularly those with multiple chronic illnesses.
Cancer can be one of the most stressful experiences anyone has to face. The support groups can help to cope with the emotional aspects of cancer by providing a place to share experiences and learn from others who are facing similar situations. The groups are for anyone living with a cancer, newly diagnosed, in treatment or a long-term survivor.
Benefits of a Support Group
- A chance to feel understood
- A safe place to help manage the wider range of feelings, fears and sadness
- An opportunity to laugh a little, too
- A place to share or learn about resources and tips
- An opportunity to learn from others who have been on this journey
- A chance to share your experiences with those who have just begun their treatment and healing
- An opportunity to receive information along the journey through speakers from medical personnel and other community resources
The Women Living with Cancer Support Group meetings are held on the last Wednesday of each month, alternating between and UP Health System – Portage and Aspirus Keweenaw. All meetings are from 7 – 8:30 p.m. Call Angie at 906-482-8221 or Anita at 906-482-9675 for more information.
Future Meeting Dates
- August 26, UP Health System - Portage Conference Center
- September 30, Aspirus Keweenaw, 2nd Floor
- October 28, UP Health System - Portage Conference Center
- No Meeting in November
- December 2, Holiday Celebration (Location - TBD)
The Men’s Cancer Support Group meets every Monday at 9:30 a.m. at the Kangas Café located in the Jutila Center in Hancock. The meetings are informal with no agenda. For more information on the Men’s Cancer Support Group please call Ed at 906-482-0010 or Ted at 906-482-5858.